how the hardware started working…

Setting up is a headache in itself. From Day 1 I have been pulling out my hair with just getting any sort of response of connection from the sensors and my computer and processing. From one brick wall to another as you may or not have read from my posts earlier this year.

Here is my setup for the CoFA digitizer, that requires a power source:

Connection to digitizer

Sensor to digitizer connection

Midi connection

The setup wtih the Wi-microDig is slightly different:

sensor to bluetooth

blue light = bluetooth connection is good

Connection bluetooth in iCubX editor

yay! data being inputed into iCubeX editor

There appear to be 3 available channels for data collection for the GForce-3D Sensors. I assume it is one for each axis: x, y, and z. I noticed that when i held the sensor flat and then flipped it 180 degrees, the numbers moved from 0 to 124 (the maximum on the iCube-X editor interface. The other 2 moved more dramatically when I moved the sensor in the other two axes.

I am actually kicking myself for not having taken a screen shot the first time my sensors started working! The problem I am facing now, is yet again carrying the data into Processing. After using the Bluetooth digitizer (Wi-MircoDig), the settings for the CoFA digitizer seem have been reset and I have zero input into processing, although it isn’t totally back to nil – Processing still recognizes the MIDItoUSB connection and the hardware – it is only the actualy values from the sensor that are not coming through again. I’m going to have to give it another bash… Let this be a very good lesson – to ALWAYS write every single step (painfully document the ENTIRE process and not only what I think the “main points to remember” are, in fact, NEVER… EVER.. trust my memory and take notes for every little detail, and I think if I can do this, my stress levels should remain in check, and my hair will not fall out as much!

During the first major breakthrough, I did manage to save the link to the site that brought me so much happiness after hitting so many dead ends. After having installed the drivers for my MIDI to USB connection, the sensor was still not being read by Processing. The tricky part… is Mac OS sometimes has issues with accessing MIDI or sound hardware and requires another plugin: “mmj”
–> Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 1 (Dec.3rd 2009) changes things in terms of JVM midi support. With this update the world’s most advanced operating system does not need a third party Midi service provider like mmj for javax.sound.midi to access hardware anymore. Here is Apple’s release notes, see Radar #3261490 under JavaSound.
–> Second: You may still want it, though
Apple’s java Midi implementation appears a bit half-hearted. It seems to ignore timestamps on Midi events, device names will default to only the port’s name (without hints on the device this port belongs to) and there may be other things missing alike.
–> Third: You might even need it
If your OS version is not supported by the update you still need a service provider to access Midi hardware. (Yes, deploying a java application has just become even more fun).
Reference and link to download mmj

Currently, my problem is that even with all the necessary plugins installed, Processing is yet again not receiving any data from the sensors…. Time to have another bash before the presentation so I can do a little demo! I think it’s about time!! …. No sweat on my brow.. :-/ … I just hope my computer will be cooperative!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s